WP1-Analysis of existing curricula and study programmes in the field of smart grids and electricity markets in EU and Western Balkans HEIs
The goal is to map the existing situation in
a) engineering education with respect to smart grids, ICT and electricity markets and
b) the electricity market in the partner countries.
To accomplish this, the following procedure will be followed:
1. Taking into account predefined assessment criteria, a SWOT analysis of the existing curricula in partner country universities will be carried out
2. Analysis of existing curricula in smart grids at EU universities will be prepared by the EU partners. Competences, laboratories, literature, courses will be presented in the Report.
3. Conduct a survey with respect to stakeholders’ expectations or needs or understanding of smart grids and Energy Markets studies.
During this WP one workshop will be organised in M3 at the University of Novi Sad
WP2-Development of new courses in the field of smart grids and electricity markets
New courses and modules for BSC and MSc programme will be developed for each partner country university. They will be specified in detail, including:
- goals, target groups, expected learning outcomes, student workload per subject
- ECTS, teaching methods, admission and requirements, subject content on weekly basis, method of knowledge assessment and marking, recommended literature, quality assessment methods ensuring the desired learning outcomes, special note for the subject if any.
The above data will be summarized in syllabi templates compatible with the ECTS Users Guide. The content of the courses will be developed with the industry representatives. Some specific examples from the practice will also be included as special modules within the courses.
An internship programme, carrying ECTS, for BSc and/or MSc programme will be created at each WBC university in cooperation with the industry representatives. One workshop will be organised within this work package on M8 where the drafts of new created courses will be discussed. Furthermore, short visit of WBC staff to EU universities will be organised to be introduced to literature, laboratories, content and organisation of the courses, et
WP3-Improving the capacity building at 9 HEIs in WBC
The aim of this work package is to build capacity at the HEIs in WB countries. This work package will be realised through the implementation of the following activities:
- During this training the following topic will be covered: micro learning, gamified learning and practice oriented teaching.
- University of TEISTE will be responsible for gamified learning, and the University of Vigo will be responsible for the micro learning and the TUW will be responsible for practice oriented teaching.
- ELEMEND platform will be created within the second project year by the BURCH University and University of Novi Sad.
- The ELEMEND platform will enable the setup and usage of remote and virtual engineering labs, enabling web-access to engineering equipment related to smart grids for practical work of the students.
- E-learning courses will be uploaded on the ELEMEND platform too.
- Virtual laboratories will also be created, as a part of the e-learning courses, and they will be implemented through the ELEMEND platform.
- Also, traditional laboratories for smart grid courses will be installed at each WBC university.
- The second training on creating virtual laboratories, e-learning content, on-platform will be organised at the Riga Technical University on M13.
WP4-Implementation of new updated programmes
At the end of the second project year, a call for the student enrolment will be published at each WBC university. It is planned that at least 20 students be enrolled at the Master programme at each WBC university. At each WBC HEIs, new BSc courses will be introduced in the regular programme. This courses will be taught by the WBC HEIs academic staff in the third project year.
New Master programme (60/120 ECTS) in smart grids will be implemented in the third project year. After the end of each semester the report on launched courses will be prepared and distributed among the project partners. Based on this report, further recommendation for improving will be prepared by the EU partners.
The gamified and e‐learning content will be offered to all university students and other stakeholders of the ELEMEND Network. Internship programme, will be organised in the third project year. At least 10 students will be involved in the Internship programme at each WBC university.
WP5-Project Quality control and monitoring
This WP will run throughout the duration of the project and will be coordinated by TEISTE and UES. The WP is dedicated to the quality assurance and monitoring of the project implementation and its outcomes, according to the ENQA guidelines.
In the kick‐off meeting, the Project Quality Monitoring and Control Team (PQMC) will be established for internal evaluation processes.They will be responsible for preparing the guide for quality control and monitoring activities. The Quality guide will provide tools and plans for the monitoring and periodic review of the project and its outputs, as well. In each WBC HEI, a team for the quality control will also be established. Each team will consist of one academic staff, one student and one industry representative. Intermediate reports of these teams will also include the financial reports with all supporting documents. External quality monitoring and control is also foreseen in the workplan and the budget. The final report will summarise all project results and achievements and will be prepared by the Team for quality control and monitoring. Financial audit will be organised according to the Erasmus + programme rules.
WP6-Dissemination & Exploitation
Dissemination and sustainability will start from the beginning of the project and will cover internal and external dissemination performed by WB and EU partners respectively. The aim of dissemination is to
1) increase public awareness about ELEMEND and its impact and
2) motivate students and professionals to follow ELEMEND programmes.
Target groups include students, engineers, researchers, academic staff and students from other universities who are not involved in the project, electricity network companies, energy service companies, technology providers, regulators, governmental agencies, advanced electricity service and solution providers.
The consolidated dissemination and sustainability plans will be prepared by the WP coordinator, assisted by industrial partners, and will be discussed and approved by the plenary meeting of the Steering Committee at the kick‐off meeting on M2.
Lead organization: TEISTE
Start date: 01. 10. 2017
End date: 01. 10. 2020
The TEI of Sterea Ellada (TEISTE) assisted by University of Burch (IBU) will be responsible for the management of the project. The project will be coordinated by a TEISTE staff member, Project Manager (PM).
The ELEMEND Steering Committee (SC) is the superior decision making and arbitration body. It represents the partners’ interests and ultimately validates the major project decisions. All decisions will be taken following the presentation of the topic by the assigned SC member in charge, the academic, technical or other consultation. Every effort will be made that the decisions are taken by consensus.
SC will meet at least every 6 month to review the progress, modify plans, resolve conflicts, discuss problems and obstacles and decide on actions, approve deliverables. 4 coordination meetings will be organised at place, and 3 coordination meetings will be organised by videoconferencing.
Each WP is carried out by the respective work package leader. WP leaders must participate at the SC as contact persons for their HEI. Interim (half-time) and final reports will be submitted for each WP and discussed/assessed by the SC in the following coordination meeting. Reporting at all levels will also be done electronically. All minutes, reports, or proceedings will be uploaded on the ELEMEND platform with SC access only. Management IT tools will be used by all workgroups for self-checking and communication.